DiscoverLaw Prelaw Undergraduate Scholars Program
Thank you for your interest in the DiscoverLaw.org Prelaw Undergraduate Scholars Program. The yearlong program begins with a summer component for Summer 2017 (July 9 – August 11). The DiscoverLaw.org Prelaw Undergraduate Scholars Program will inspire students entering their sophomore and junior years who might not typically consider a career in law to attend law school and to prepare them with the skills and competencies required to successfully pursue this academic path.
- Applicants must currently be students at the University of Texas at Austin or Huston-Tillotson University.
- Applicants must be “rising” college sophomores or juniors (at least 24 hours but no more than 60 hours in residence as of the end of the Spring 2017 semester).
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
Additional Selection Criteria
Although students may be eligible for the program, that does not guarantee selection. Students will be selected based on the following additional criteria:
- Preference will be given to students who are members of groups that have been historically under-represented in law school education (African American/ Black, Latino/ Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander).
- Applicants will also be selected based on other indicators of academic talent such as faculty recommendations and writing samples.
- Applicants must have an articulated and/or demonstrated interest in the law.
- Applicants will also be selected based on service to their communities, demonstrated leadership, and other extracurricular activities evincing the potential to be strong law school applicants.
- Applicants will be selected based on the overall quality of their application package, including their writing sample, resume and personal essay.
- Students must register online at www.DiscoverLaw.org to be eligible to participate in the DiscoverLaw.org Prelaw Undergraduate Scholars Program.
Finalists from the applicant pool may be contacted for an in-person meeting or Skype-conference call to discuss their potential for participation in the DiscoverLaw.org Prelaw Undergraduate Scholars Program.
Applicants must commit to participating in all seminars, workshops, and residential activities during the summer portion of the DiscoverLaw.org Prelaw Undergraduate Scholars Program as well as enrichment, mentoring and related activities during the subsequent academic year.
All required materials must be completed and uploaded by Wednesday, April 19, 2017 by 11:59pm CDT.